WHETHER OUT OF NECESSITY OR CHOICE, WORKING AT HOME CAN BE CHALLENGING AND REWARDING.
As with anything, necessity is truly the Mother of Invention. With the current events, Covid19, Social Distancing, Facial Masks, etc. etc., many are finding that working from is their BEST option whether it’s a modification of their current job to working from home or simply starting a new home business.
Job descriptions or home business choices share the same recipe for success. Remember the 5-P’s – Proper Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performance!
Setting up your workspace:
- Make it comfortable – Remember, you will be spending quite a good amount of time here so, invest in a good office chair and ample size desk with room to spread out.
- Make it Convenient – Add a phone so you aren’t constantly jumping to run answer a ringing phone; add a water fountain or a small apartment refrigerator to keep bottled water; keep books, printer, and supplies near, etc.
- Make it “homey”- Add things that make you feel happy; Photos of family, pets, cars, collections, art, etc.
- Make it “yours” – Speak with family and friends and work out an understanding with them that THIS is your workplace and it should be respected. Be assertive, keep doors closed and keep distractions to a minimum.
Manage your time well:
- Stay Focused and self-motivated. Success is dependent on your ability to manage tasks to completion. Learn to recognize procrastination and nip it in the bud!
- Success and self-discipline go hand in hand, so cultivate focus, self-motivation and self-discipline to ensure your work at home experience is satisfying your income needs.
- Set goals for yourself. Both short term and long term. Goals ensure we stay on task, weather hardships that will come to challenge our resolve and always keep your “eye on the prize”.
- Take planned “breaks”. Step away from the work area, stretch, walk, eat a snack or a sit down dinner with a loved one.
- Reward yourself for meeting goals. Even the small ones! Buy that specialty coffee or tea as a treat for a job well done. YOU matter!
There are numerous advantages to working from home. But there are many challenges, too, such as staying focused and doing your best work.
Find ways to motivate yourself to work positively and productively. Highlight things that will likely distract you, and take steps to deal with them. Set up a workspace that’s comfortable and appropriate for your job, and do everything you can to limit interruptions.
Organize your day as clearly as you would at the office, including allowing yourself breaks. Maximize your time by creating To-Do Lists, and by managing the distractions of home life.
Keep the lines of communication open between you and your boss and other team members, but also make it clear when you don’t want to be disturbed.
Doing too much at home can be as problematic as doing too little! So, create “no-go” zones for work devices, take regular breaks, and have a door that you can shut on your work at the end of the day.